OurRoots_Header_01

Our Roots

Arthur Stollery, a mining entrepreneur and son of the well-known Toronto clothier, bought the rolling farmland at the corner of Kennedy Road and Major MacKenzie Drive in Markham in 1957 to raise Black Aberdeen Angus cattle and champion thoroughbreds.

He named the property Angus Glen Farm, which later grew to 1800 acres, and became his home. In 1967 he began breeding thoroughbred race horses. For more than two decades, Angus Glen bred horses which achieved racing success both in Canada and internationally; including twelve stakes winners, most notably Talkin’ Man, Kennedy Road and Laurie’s Dancer.

After years touring the farmlands, Arthur Stollery, an avid golfer, began building a golf course in 1992, on some of the original horse paddocks, and in the valley where Black Angus cattle once grazed. Parts of the original farm, which still operates, can be seen adjacent to many of the golf holes. Arthur Stollery passed away in 1994, but the Stollery family completed his masterpiece and the course opened to the public in 1995. That year, Golf Digest magazine ranked Angus Glen as the Best New Course in Canada.

In 1996 Gordon Stollery took the vision of his father one step further by building a community around Angus Glen Golf Club. During the building of the community Angus Glen acquired Kylemore homes which strives to build quality homes, while “Exceeding Excellence”. Continuing the tradition of excellence, Angus Glen is known for its outstanding personal service. Angus Glen provides golfers with the experience of a first class private golf club within a public facility, accessible to all.

Gordon Stollery adds, “Angus Glen Community and the Golf Course symbolize what my father always strove to achieve… excellence while remembering his roots.”

Our Timeline

  • 1957
    Arthur Stollery purchases farmland to raise Black Aberdeen Angus Cattle. He names the property Angus Glen Farm.
  • 1967
    Arthur Stollery begins breeding thoroughbred race horses, which achieved racing success in Canada and internationally.
  • 1995
    Golf Course and clubhouse opens. Golf Digest rates Angus Glen as the “Best New Course in Canada”.
  • 1996
    Gordon Stollery began building a community surrounding the golf club—Angus Glen Community.
  • June 2000
    Construction begins on the North Course. A 50,000 sq.ft. addition is started on the clubhouse. The new clubhouse & conference centre reaches 65,000 sq.ft.
  • July 2001
    Telus Skins Game is played on the brand new North Course.
  • August 2001
    Bank of Montreal Canadian Women’s Open is contested on the South Course.
  • September 2002
    Angus Glen South Course hosts the Canadian Open.
  • January 2006
    North Course undergoes renovations led by Davis Love III in preparation for the 2007 Canadian Open.
  • July 2007
    Angus Glen North Course hosts the Canadian Open.
  • May 2014
    Arthur W. Stollery Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame Inductee—Thoroughbred Builder.
  • July 2015
    Host Venue of 2015 Pan Am Games Golf Event.